Why Croatia?

The most frequently asked question I get about my Croatian vacation is, "Why Croatia?"

At a Kagan workshop, I was "shoulder" partner with Donna Bronzan, colleague, and the topic for sharing was to describe a place you would love to go. I told about New York having never been but imagining what I might like to see there. Then Donna began describing the Dalmatian Coast. My first thought went to a place with short-haired black spotted dogs. As she described its beauty and culture, I was enchanted. She mentioned that indeed her and husband were planning a summer trip ... so I invited myself.

When I got home, I mentioned it to Petey. She envisioned a third-world country, "It this a missionary trip with some church?"

"No, it's a 'regular' place in Europe. It's the coast of Croatia." I replied.

"Where is it?" she asked.

My head tilted like a Dalmatian might, "Not sure ... let's check our world map." We proceeded to the spare bedroom in our house where I had pasted a world-map mural on the wall ... copyright 1992. We began searching for Croatia. It wasn't there. And thus began a new research topic for Petey & I with the first purchase the newest edition of Rick Steves' travel book.

The quickest way I describe the location of Croatia is, "Italy is shaped like a boot. The back of the boot is the Adriatic Sea. On the other shore of that sea is Croatia." Then I add in a smart-alec tone, "It's been on the map since B.C. but the names have changed."

No comments:

Post a Comment