9 Forbidden Ice

Like all other European countries, ice is forbidden … at least it seems that way. Asking for ice from a waiter is like asking him to drop his pants in public. It’s embarrassing for me to ask and demeaning for him to expose himself … perhaps. You usually get an expression that says, “You spoiled Americans and your stupid ice.” One hot afternoon in Plitvice, we had just returned to our zimmer from a long hike. Donna took a little spill and needed to ice her ankle. I hurried across the parking lot to a pizza joint and asked for three bottles of Coke, “to go.” I asked for ice. The bartender was generous. He opened a lower cabinet behind the bar and pulled out three plastic cups from a stack. He filled them with ice … score! I triumphantly brought the treasure to our zimmer where Donna iced her ankle and we enjoyed our refreshing beverage on the sunny terrace recounting the day’s experience.

That night, we returned to the pizza place for dinner. Following our underwhelming zimmer breakfast, we surmised that a value-meal would not likely be found at our B&B. Thus drove across parking lot (remember Donna has a sore ankle) and placed our pizza order. As we were wrapping up another colorful meal, I asked the waiter for a plastic cup with ice. He said plainly and emphatically, “No.” I was taken aback then pondered my next move. As I was paying the bill at the bar I asked a different waiter for a plastic cup. He gave me a look like he was searching for the words to deny my request. Before he could reply, I pressed my case while pointing toward the cupboard behind the bar, “There’s one in there.” He was caught off guard and complied with my request. As he handed it to me he asked, “How you know cup was there?” I smiled, thanked him for the cup, and quickly hit the exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment